Thursday, March 2, 2023

Whoa! No updates?

I promised myself I'd stick with updating this blog and then I went a whole month without posting. So in lieu of a proper post, notes, or a write-up of some adventurous CTF undertaking, here's a brief post of what I've been up to when I wasn't posting. Not that anyone's waiting around for it, but I figure this is just me being polite :)

The highlight of the last month for me was definitely the TraceLabs Global OSINT Search Party. This is a CTF where players find information on the web about active missing persons cases and attempt to aggregate as much information on the disappearance as possible. The competition was on February 11th, and lasted 4 hours. I was on one of three teams representing Hacktoria. My team put forth a valiant effort and came in the top 100.

 

One of the other Hacktoria teams took home the gold, claiming first prize. Another team still was able to find alternate socials for one of the missing persons, and were able to advance the case. When I started learning to do this kind of stuff I never imagined it would take me to experiences like this.

Another big preoccupation for the month was the Hacktoria monthly contract 'Operation: Nemesis' which I managed to solve just before the month was done and the contract was closed. There was a brutal geolocation challenge towards the end of this one that took me many hours to figure out. I have a write-up for this one incoming. More recently with the help of some of my fellow Hacktorians I also took on 'Operation: Wiretap' the active monthly challenge there now.

Other than that I have been chomping away at hacking machines on hackthebox and tryhackme, my two favorite resources for computer based extreme sports. Looking forward to the upcoming HacktheBox Cyber Apocalypse CTF in just a couple weeks starting on March 18th. 

Here's some links:

https://www.tracelabs.org/

https://www.hackthebox.com/events/cyber-apocalypse-2023?utm_source=mp&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=cyber_apocalypse_2023

https://hacktoria.com/operations/operation-wiretap/


Whoa! No updates?

I promised myself I'd stick with updating this blog and then I went a whole month without posting. So in lieu of a proper post, notes, o...